Red Cross Blood Shortage

The Red Cross is experiencing a blood shortage.

Red Cross Association

Sarah-Jean, Reporter

The Red Cross is currently experiencing a blood shortage directly affected by COVID-19, general illness, weather, cancellations, short staffing, and a lack of donations. Many medical industries are being forced to preserve and salvage all blood products they have left. High school and college donations are at an all-time low due to the pandemic. According to The Red Cross Association, they’re experiencing the “worst blood shortage in over a decade.”

This blood shortage has resulted in the lifting of bans on LGBTQ+ men from donating. France and Greece have lifted their ban on bisexual and gay men from donating blood due to the shortage. This comes after the HIV and AIDS epidemics which put limitations on gay men from being able to be donors, resulting from generalized homophobia concerning the virus.

As of now the United States has relaxed blood bans throughout the years, starting in 2015. Currently, before donating blood doctors must examine for blood-bone diseases in the donor.

Type O positive and O negative blood types are needed.

redcrossblood.org/ has resources to check donation eligibility and to find a blood drive near you. People’s lives depend on blood donations and this current state of emergency affects the entire globe, putting lives at risk. If eligible you should consider donating to save a life.