Fatal Shooting at North Carolina School

Jatwan Cuffie

Donaghue, Erin

Jatwan Cuffie

Raquel Perry, Reporter

A deadly shooting at David W. Butler High School in Matthews, North Carolina, escalated during a fist fight in a crowded hallway on Monday morning, prompting a serious lockdown.

The alleged shooter, identified as 16-year-old Jatwan Cuffie, allegedly shot Bobby Mckeithen, who is also 16, and was quickly taken into custody by a school resource officer about 10 minutes after the shooting. The shooting happened around 7:15 am. A school resource officer who was in the building heard a commotion in a hallway and witnessed students running away. He arrived at the scene seconds later and spotted McKeithen suffering from gunshot wounds. A teacher was able to alert officers that Cuffie was the shooter and made him surrender to the police. Students remained inside of the school on lockdown for about two hours after the shooting. Families were allowed to pick up their students from the entrance of the campus after the lockdown was lifted. McKeithen was rushed to the hospital where he later died from his injuries.

“We are incredibly saddened that we had a loss of life on one of our campuses,” Superintendent Dr. Clayton Wilcox said. “And what makes it doubly worse is it was one of our students who was the shooter,” Wilcox says that the conflict began with bullying and escalated out of control, “But we’re also sorry for the young person who thought the only way to solve this problem was with a gun.” However, Captain Stason Tyrrell said that the students got into a disagreement over the weekend and it was carried over to school the next day.

Classes continued for students after they ensured that there were no other signs of danger. Wilcox said classes were canceled on Tuesday. “It’s been an extremely tragic event for us here in Matthews for the Butler High School community,” Police Capt. Stason Tyrrell says.