The Final Presidential Debate

President+Donald+Trump+and+Democratic+presidential+nominee+Joe+Biden+participate+in+the+first+presidential+debate+at+the+Health+Education+Campus+of+Case+Western+Reserve+University+on+September+29%2C+2020+in+Cleveland%2C+Ohio.+

Win McNamee

President Donald Trump and Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden participate in the first presidential debate at the Health Education Campus of Case Western Reserve University on September 29, 2020 in Cleveland, Ohio.

Gianna Iadevaia, Reporter

After a previous cancellation because of President Trump’s refusal to participate, the final presidential debate is set to take place on Thursday, October 22nd in Nashville, Tennessee. The debate will be moderated by Kristen Walker, a representative from NBC News.

The Commission on Presidential Debates (CPD) delivered the following topics that will be discussed in the debate; “Fighting Covid-19,” “American Families,” “Race in America,” “Climate Change,” “National Security,” and “Leadership.”

Several concerns have arisen, specifically about Trump’s recent COVID-19 diagnosis. Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden said in an exchange with ABC’s George Stephanopoulos during a town hall on October 20th, that he will not be attending if President Trump does not test negative for the coronavirus on the 22nd.

Another concern is the rules, as the CPD met on Monday, October 19th to discuss rule changes catered towards the debate due to interruptions in both the first presidential debate and the vice-presidential debate. The meeting was considered last minute, as Thursday’s debate was only three days away.

The factor that microphones will be muted for certain parts of the debate is also a concern of many audience members. Because of the constant interruptions from both parties in the former debate, the CPD will be automatically muting microphones after another party gives their response and comments. The moderator’s microphone will also be muted during this time.