CVS will Hire 15,000 Workers for the Upcoming Cold Season

CVS Health Logo

CVS Health Logo

Emilyanne Richart, Reporter

CVS Health announced on Monday that it will hire 15,000 full and part-time workers as the flu season approaches amid the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. These new hires will fill a mix of new and existing positions.

More than 10,000 of the new positions will be for licensed pharmacy technicians who will help give COVID-19 tests, process prescriptions, and give medications, according to CVS. In an email sent to CBS news, a spokesperson for the company stated that the license requirements for pharmacy technicians vary from state to state, but CVS is generally looking for people with previous experience in a pharmacy, retail, medical, or customer service setting.

According to CVS, the rest of the positions are for pharmacists, physician assistants, nurses, nurse practitioners, distribution center employees, member benefit case professionals, and work-from-home customer service reps.

“Additional team members typically are needed every flu season,” said Lisa Bisaccia, CVS Health, Chief Human Resources Officer. “However, we’re estimating a much greater need for trained pharmacy technicians this year given the continued presence of COVID-19 in our communities.”

Bisaccia assures that “these jobs offer a rewarding career opportunity, with flexible hours, advancement potential and a supportive environment while helping people on their path to better health.”

The fall and winter months bring new health challenges, such as flu season and a predicted increase of COVID-19 cases. Dr. Michael Mina, a professor at Harvard T. H. Chan School of Public Health, stated that as the weather gets colder, “We are likely to see massive explosions of [COVID] cases and outbreaks that could potentially make what we’ve seen so far look like it hasn’t been that much.”