Biden’s Plan For COVID-19

President-elect+Joe+Biden.+

Getty Images

President-elect Joe Biden.

Halle Saldivia, Reporter

President-elect Joe Biden unveiled his plan to fight the coronavirus during his first 100 days in office, this past Tuesday during a press conference. The plan includes a national mask mandate, 100 million COVID-19 vaccinations, and a push to return children to school safely.

Biden said he will sign an executive order on “day one” to require masks for the American people. While this mandate cannot force everyone to wear a mask, it does include those who wish to visit in federal buildings as well as those who wish to travel on planes, trains, and buses. The president-elect said he would be working with governors and mayors to do the same in their states and cities.

Biden said his administration wants to see “at least” 100 million COVID-19 vaccine shots “into the arms of the American people” in his first 100 days, adding the administration would prioritize vaccinating healthcare workers, residents of long-term care facilities, and educators as recommended by vaccine advisers to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Biden also called on Congress to pass more funding for vaccines.

Part three of Biden’s plan is a push to reopen as many schools as possible, as many have been temporarily shutdown for in-person learning for a majority of the pandemic, stating it as a “national priority.” If Congress provides the necessary funding to protect students, educators and staff, and cities put strong public health measures in place that Americans can follow, he and his team would “work to see that a majority of our schools can be open by the end of my first 100 days.”

“I am absolutely convinced that in 100 days we can change the course of the disease and change life in America for the better,” Biden concluded.