Polk County Drive-Thru Vaccinates 1000 People

WeAreIowa.com

WeAreIowa.com

Laura Richart, Reporter

Drive-thru events are one of the main ways that many counties are distributing COVID-19 vaccines, and Polk County just vaccinated over 1000 people at theirs earlier this week.

The vaccines were administered at Country Road 504 entrance to Polk State College’s Lakeland campus. Polk County Sheriffs Officers were posted outside the site on the roadway entrance assisting by checking-in registered applicants’ information on the appointment list provided by the health department.

Individuals were able to schedule appointments by using the COVID-19 vaccine hotline launched by the Health department and the Polk county government on Friday the 8th. Patients were also given a consent form that asked them the 11 questions listed below:

1. Are you feeling sick today?
  2. Have you ever received a dose of COVID-19 vaccine?
  3. Have you ever had an allergic reaction to:                                                                                   • A component of the COVID-19 vaccine, including polyethylene glycol (PEG), which is found in some medications, such as laxatives and preparations for colonoscopy procedures, Polysorbate, or a previous dose of COVID-19 vaccine?
  4. Have you ever had an allergic reaction to another vaccine (other than COVID-19 vaccine) or an injectable medication?
  5. Have you ever had a severe allergic reaction (e.g., anaphylaxis) to something other than a component of COVID-19 vaccine, polysorbate, or any vaccine or injectable medication?
  6. Have you received any vaccine in the last 14 days?
  7. Have you ever had a positive test for COVID-19 or has a doctor ever told you that you had COVID-19?
  8. Have you received passive antibody therapy (monoclonal antibodies or convalescent serum) as treatment for COVID-19?
  9. Do you have a weakened immune system caused by something such as HIV infection or cancer or do you take immunosuppressive drugs or therapies?
  10. Do you have a bleeding disorder or are you taking a blood thinner?
  11. Are you pregnant or breastfeeding?

Once these forms were signed, drivers could pull into the parking lot to receive their vaccine shot without having to get out of the car.

While Polk county is having a successful drive-thru experience, residents can also get vaccinated right here in Osceola County at the following:

-January 18th at Osceola Community Health Services, 1501 Bill Beck Blvd, Kissimmee.

-January 20th at Osceola Community Health Services, 109 N Doverplum, Poinciana.

To schedule an appointment call 407-943-8600. At this time you must be 65 years of age or older, or be a health care professional in order to secure a slot.