Miami Bridge Collapses Days After Installation

Vanessa Pasos, Reporters

On March 15, a pedestrian bridge in Florida International University (FIU), located in Miami, collapsed, killing multiple people. Medical professionals and students rushed to the scene to give victims aid.  The Florida Highway patrol spokesman, Lt. Alejandro Camacho, stated that there was “five to six vehicles” underneath the bridge before its collapse.

Students were initially excited about the bridge, “We were really excited about the bridge. Everything looked fine. I went underneath it with my own car and it looked great.” Ricardo Dejo, a FIU civil engineering student, told CNN.

The bridge’s fact sheet said the bridge was meant to stay up for more than 100 years. The bridge was installed March 10.

Maydel Santana-Bravo, the FIU university spokesmen, has issued the following statement about the bridge, “We are shocked and saddened about the tragic events unfolding at the FIU- Sweetwater pedestarian bridge.”

Multiple lawsuits claiming wrongful death and negligence have been filed against FIGG Bridge Engineers and Munilla Construction Management, the companies in charge of constructing the bridge.

On March 24, Southwest Eighth Street reopened ahead of schedule. A Florida Highway Patrol Trooper stated that they will, “continue to monitor the traffic flow in the area for the next couple of days. We continue to emphasize the importance of using caution when driving in the area.”