Poet Amanda Gorman set to Perform at Super Bowl LV

Patrick Semansky/picture-allianc

American poet Amanda Gorman reading her poem at the 2021 inauguration at the U.S. Capitol in Washington, on Wednesday, Jan. 20th, 2021.

Jillian Jenks, Reporter

Amanda Gorman, 22, is the youngest poet to ever perform at a U.S. presidential inauguration, and will recite an original poem at the upcoming Super Bowl LV, recognizing the impact of three heroes who have demonstrated leadership during the COVID pandemic. She will participate in the pregame ceremony ahead of the February 7th game.

Gorman was commissioned to compose a piece recognizing the “resiliency” of the three honorary Super Bowl captains including, educator Trimaine Davis, nurse manager Suzie Dorner, and veteran James Martin, according to an NFL press release. The selection of the honorary game captains was announced on Wednesday by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell.

“All three were selected because of their dedication and selfless commitment to helping others,” the release said. “These heroes are symbolic of the thousands of health-care professionals, educators, and veterans throughout our country who continue to care for, heal and support those in need during this pandemic.”

The three everyday heroes have been aiding their community amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Trimaine Davis, a Los Angeles teacher, has helped secure laptops and internet for his students during remote learning. Suzie Dorner, a nurse at the Tampa Bay General Hospital, is managing the COVID intensive care unit. James Martin, a Marine veteran, has been helping fellow families connect virtually through the Wounded Warrior Project.

Gorman’s poem about the three captains, which she will recite before they are recognized on the field, will serve to spotlight their “tremendous impact during an unprecedented year,” according to the NFL press release.

This is one of the latest opportunities for Gorman, whose Inauguration Day poem “The Hill We Climb” has inspired celebrity shout outs, garnered her more than 1 million Twitter followers, and propelled her trio of yet-to-be-released books including, a special edition of her inaugural poem, her debut poetry collection, and a picture book, which have already topped Amazon’s Best Sellers list.

Super Bowl LV will be a showdown between the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Kansas City Chiefs at the Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Florida. The game is scheduled to take place on Sunday, February 7th, at 6:30 p.m. and will be aired nationally on CBS. It is a highly anticipated match-up between the defending champions the Kansas City Chiefs, with quarterback Patrick Mahomes, and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, led by six-time Super Bowl winner Tom Brady.