Former President Donald Trump Speaks at CPAC

Wikipedia

Donald Trump delivering his speech at CPAC.

Tomas Sanchez Jurado, Reporter

Former President Donald Trump returned to the political stage last Sunday at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC), where he spoke in front of the biggest gathering of grassroots conservatives ever in Orlando, Florida for the first time after his loss in the 2020 election.

Trump started his 90 minute speech by asking the crowd “Do you miss me?” followed by a claim that he won the election. Trump then attacked Biden for not doing a good job in his presidency.

The problem is that Trump’s words influence the actions of many Americans, which of what we have seen, can cause riots. With that influence, he can make them believe anything. From his voter fraud lie, other Republicans have hopped on that bandwagon and are attempting to make voting harder.

“Trump did such a good job convincing the Republican base of this stolen election myth that it presents an opportunity for other Republicans to piggy back on those fears, even if they don’t embrace the specifics of Trump’s claims, and use it as an opportunity to either pass new restrictive laws or at least make noises about them as a way of pleasing that base,” Rick Hasen, a professor and an election law expert at the University of California, Irvine, said.

Trump criticized the Supreme Court for not coming to his aid after his loss. “They should be ashamed of themselves for what they’ve done to our country … the Supreme Court didn’t have the guts or the courage to do anything about it,” Trump ranted in his speech.

In his speech, Donald Trump also spoke about his Republican enemies and ominously listed the names of Republicans he is targeting for defeat. Many G.O.P. leaders are litigating false claims about voting fraud in last year’s election, assailing the technology companies that banned Trump and punishing lawmakers who broke with him over his desperate bid to retain power. Trump criticized Representative Liz Cheney, third-ranking House Republican, calling her “a warmonger” and saying her “poll numbers have dropped faster than any human being I’ve ever seen.” Cheney harshly criticized Trump for his role the Capitol riot on January 6 and has repeatedly said that the G.O.P. should cut ties with the former president.

The event also included seven speeches and panels about “protecting elections” with 2020-specific themes like “Other Culprits: Why Judges & Media Refused to Look at the Evidence,” and “The Left Pulled the Strings, Covered It Up, and Even Admits It.”