Osceola County School District Transportation Issues Remain Ongoing

The School District of Osceola County has been having ongoing transportation issues.

Creative Commons

Jocelyn Chavez, Reporter

Over the last couple of weeks students have been struggling with school given transportation. Some issues being buses running late, while others never came to pick up students. There’s a lot of confusion and stress among the students who don’t know what is happening with the current bus situation.

In an interview with Ms. Bell, the dean of students who happens to take care of bus transportation for students, gave a clear answer to why there has been so much chaos surrounding this issue. “A lot of the problem has to do with the contract the bus drivers have with the School District of Osceola County, their contracts have just been approved two weeks ago and are just starting to take action. In these contracts the bus drivers with most experience and years of working for the district get the chance to bid for the bus route of  their choice, and will most likely be given to them.”

With the contract now taking action, it also means that the bus routes are changing to what the bus drivers want. This is one of the main reasons these problems are happening. In addition, during summer vacations, while students are out of school, bus drivers practice their given bus routes so that they’re ready to do their jobs by the beginning of the school year. This means that with the rearranging of bus routes, the bus drivers are adapting to their new given routes without any time to practice, their only time to practice is the time when they pick up and drop off students.

But worry not, according to Ms.Bell the whole bus transportation situation should be fixed in the next couple of weeks. It is expected to return to normal around mid-November, just in time for the holiday season!