What you Need to Know About ‘Flurona’

Flurona%2C+a+new+influenza%2C+is+a+concern+among+health+officials.+

Alexis Incandela

Flurona, a new influenza, is a concern among health officials.

Alexis Incandela, Editor-In-Chief

Last week the first case of flurona was reported in Israel after a pregnant woman tested positive for both the flu and COVID at the same time (having received neither vaccine). While the woman had mild symptoms, Israel’s health ministry is closely studying the simultaneous combination of the viruses.

The flu and COVID are both respiratory diseases that cause similar symptoms such as fever, headache, cough, and sore throat. Flurona cases are expected to increase as both the flu and COVID continue to circulate which is a concern among health experts.

According to Dr. Adrian Burrowes, a family medicine physician and assistant professor of family medicine at the University of Central Florida, having both viruses simultaneously could be “catastrophic to your immune system.” While there is not enough data yet to determine if hospitalizations are higher for people infected with flurona, Burrowes stated, “I do believe you’re going to see co-infection with flu and coronavirus. And I do believe you’re going to see a higher rate of mortality as a result of that.”

The Omicron variant is putting strains on governments and hospitals across the world. While health officials are still researching Flurona, they urge people to get vaccinated against both viruses. People can take protective measures such as getting vaccinated, social distance, wear masks, and wash hands to minimize the further spread of the virus and lower the chance of infection.

As of now, there are already multiple cases of Flurona reported in the US.