Florida School Bans Teaching CRT, Gender Fluidity, and COVID Related Subjects

Nathan Papes/USA Today

People protesting against CRT in schools.

Jocelyn Chavez, Reporter

Centner Academy, a private school in South Miami, Florida has several policies against teaching critical race theory arguing that it’s a curriculum of a controlled message from the media.

Critical race theory is a curriculum taught in schools that connects the students’ cultures, languages, and life experiences with what they learn at school. This system further helps students understand the importance of racism and the effects of oppression on people of color. In addition, students have the opportunity to learn about the injustices our country has made over the past few decades.

White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki states “kids should learn about our history…not just the good, but also the challenging.” The National Association of Educators further states the importance of this curriculum, “it is reasonable and appropriate for curriculum to be informed by academic frameworks for understanding and interpreting the impact of the past on current society, including critical race theory.”

Centner Academy states “as a school, we do not subscribe to or promote Critical Race Theory, Gender Fluidity, or the mainstream narrative surrounding COVID, all hot topics that many schools are now choosing to teach as factual rather than as the theories they are.”

Centner Academy just as several other schools around the nation are aiming to limit this curriculum, around 13 states have already banned CRT from their schools while around 20 states have introduced some form of legislation to limit the inclusion of critical race theory as quickly as they can.

This isn’t the first time this school has made such controversial decisions.

The academy has also taken a stance of limiting their approach of vaccinations, the academy states that they “value freedom of choice and honor freedom of religion.” They allow parents to sign forms that allow their kids opt out of the vaccination program the school provides.

They’ve also had a controversial encounter in which the school sent letters to parents asking them to keep their kids at home for at least 30 days if they allow their kids to get vaccinated or wait till the end of the school year to get vaccinated.

The school itself offers a unique approach to educating by teaching their students “Instead of teaching students what to think, we teach them how to think” as stated in their school website.