After 704 days Australia reopens its border

Blake Sharp-Wiggins/The Guardian

DJ plays music atop a bus to greet the arrivals.

Natalie Ramirez, Reporter

A Qantas airline flight from Los Angeles was the first to land at Sydney airport early on February 21st, ending Australia’s 704-day streak of restricted international travel. More than half of the 56 flights that are expected to land in Australia on Monday will be touching down at Sydney airport.

Dominic Perrottet, the New South Wales premier, commented, “It’s been a long journey, a long journey through COVID, but having our borders open, not just here, but around our country will make a real difference in people’s lives; we’re seeing families being reunited … international students return. Today we rejoined the world, and what a positive thing it is.”

Many experts such as the European Council and US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have advised against traveling to Australia because of increased COVID-19 cases over the summer. However, the federal government has promised to keep the borders open. Dan Tehan, the federal minister for trade, tourism and industry, was also at the airport early in the morning and said, “To see the way people have been united – the hugs, the tears – has been wonderful. The future is looking very, very bright. I’ll do everything possible to keep the border open.”

All arriving travelers were greeted at Sydney airport with koala and kangaroo toys, eucalyptus and vegemite, drag queens, and music playing to express everyone’s excitement. Sam Brain was one of the people to arrive early in the morning and was able to reunite with friends and family after two years. She mentions, “It’s been an amazing experience coming back, quite overwhelming with everyone here.”