Disney is Facing Criticism Over It’s Response to ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill

Disney

Prominent Disney characters walk in front of a rainbow background as a celebration for Pride Month. This picture was featured in one of Disney’s Twitter posts.

Emilyanne Richart, Reporter

Since the passing of Florida’s ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill on February 25th, LGBTQ+ activists have been diligently advocating against the bill’s evident homophobic nature. Student-led walkouts and protests have been taking place in schools across Florida and many education advocates are raising awareness to the negative effects the bill will have on student’s well-being. Yet, one of Florida’s largest employers has remained silent, despite profiting off of the LGBTQ+ community by selling pride merchandise and hosting ‘gay days’ at its parks. Disney’s new CEO, Bob Chapek, is straying away from political advocacy and has remained silent amidst this controversy.

Chapek’s decision differs from the previous CEO’s beliefs. Former CEO Bob Iger tweeted his opposable to the bill, saying, “if passed, this bill will put vulnerable, young LGBTQ people in jeopardy.” Chapek’s unwillingness to participate in political advocacy is nothing new, but it starkly contrast’s Iger’s persistent advocacy. In the past, Iger has been vocal in his opposable to matters such as Georgia’s “heartbeat bill,” Donald Trump’s Muslim ban, etc.

According to the Hollywood Reporter’s source, “Iger tended to speak out not only when issues affected the company’s business interests but when they affected its employees… Chapek has taken a narrower view and has been concerned that Disney might be viewed as too liberal.” In this approach, Chapek has donated across the aisle. Yet, the Orlando Sentinel reported that Disney has donated to every sponsor and co-sponsor of the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ bill, which infuriates many LGBTQ+ advocates.

An insider told the Hollywood Reporter that “Chapek is staunchly opposed to bringing Disney into issues he deems irrelevant to the company and its businesses.” Instead, he plans to handle such topics through dialogue within the company with a “Reimagine Tomorrow” conversation. LGBTQ+ activists such as Matt Bernstein, who has 968 thousand followers on Instagram, believe that Disney is guilty of “rainbow washing.” This is when a company markets to and profits off of LGBTQ+ consumers while having little meaningful action apart from selling rainbow merchandise.

Benjamin Simeon, who has written well-known Disney content such as Ducktales, tweeted that “I love and have loved working for Disney, but I am deeply saddened by their silence when it comes to speaking out against the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ bill, especially now that an amendment suggests teachers must disclose a student’s sexuality even if they know that child will be harmed.”

Many LGBTQ+ advocates are calling on people to boycott Disney due to their financial support of the senators behind the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ bill. Dr. Eric Cervini, a Pulitzer finalist and New York Times bestselling author, stated that he is “tired of posers like Disney,” who is “funding hate.” Cervini and Bernstein both call on their followers to cancel their subscriptions to Disney streaming services and to boycott the company until Disney “comes out forcefully against the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ bill and pledges to permanently cease contributing to the bill’s supporters.”