Pfizer and Moderna Ask for Approval for a Second Booster Shot

Creative Commons

Pfzier and Moderna officials want another booster dose.

Maggie Brickman, Reporter

Pfizer-BioNTech asked the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) on Tuesday, March 15, 2022, to approve a second booster shot for ages 65 and older. Meanwhile, Moderna asked the FDA on Thursday to authorize a second booster for all adults.

Pfizer and Moderna seem to think it is time for another vaccine dose. Some vaccine experts don’t seem to agree. The request for a fourth dose was filed to the FDA this past week. This is likely to add to the conversation of whether or not an additional vaccine dose is necessary for all groups of people.

Some research shows that the first two doses of both Pfizer and Moderna vaccine did a substantial amount against the omicron variant. The booster shot restored much of that protection. In the recent weeks, the CEO of Pfizer, Albert Bourla, and the CEO of Moderna, Stephane Bancel have been arguing that an additional dose may be needed.

This announcement comes after the talk of a COVID spike coming through the U.S as the omicron subvariant moves through Europe and other parts of the world. Some countries, including Chile, Israel, and Sweden are already allowing a fourth dose of the vaccine for certain groups of people including people aged 60 or older, people with a compromised immune system, and medical workers.

Dr. Jesse Goodman, a professor at Georgetown University believes that the evidence the Pfizer and Moderna showed is not all that compelling to scientists.

Dr. Anna Durbin, a vaccine researcher at John Hopkins University said, “COVID is likely here to stay. We’re going to continue to have infections every year, just like we have common cold infections every year. What should be driving indication for repeated vaccinations is the severity of the disease.”