The OCSA Ledger

• January 16AAPI Show, 4.15, Theater
  • November 6Hamlet, 4.10-4.11, Theater
  • October 2Musical Theater Showcase, 4.22, Theater

Invasive Species: Bradford Pear

The+Bradford+Pear+is+a+invasive+species+threating+Missouris+ecosystem.++

CNews

The Bradford Pear is a invasive species threating Missouri’s ecosystem.

Natalie Ramirez, Reporter

The Bradford pear has taken root in the United States for decades. During its spring bloom, conservationists have asked people in Missouri for their help in getting rid of the tree. The tree’s beautiful flowers make it popular among many, although it is labeled as an invasive species in the U.S.

Pyrus Calleryana is part of the plant family Rosaceae, it is better known as the Callery pear and for its variety of the Bradford pear. The Bradford Pear can grow 30 to 50 feet tall and 20 to 30 feet wide, it has more of a canopy shape compared to other species while also being native to China, Vietnam, and Taiwan.

The Missouri Department of Conservation (MDC) explains how these trees block sunlight from getting to native plants and reduce diversity in plants and animals. Extension Educator with The Ohio State University based in Toledo, Amy Stone, stated, “The tree was originally brought to our country because it was resistant to something called fire blight. It’s a disease that can kill blossoms and shoots. Along the way, people decided they would be good landscaping trees.” She then described the tree as “a generalist, so when they get into an area, they’ll knock out anything growing there before.”

Bradford pears grow at a shockingly fast rate, causing their branches to become brittle and break easily in the wind when the tree is still young. When the tree blooms, it also gives off what the MDC describes as a “fetid, dead-animal odor” which can attract flies that serve as pollinators.

Conservationists plan to be rid of the invasive species through the “Buy-Back” event in Cape Girardeau. Participants will cut down a Callery pear tree on their property and take a picture with the tree. Then register for the Buy-Back event, receiving a link where the photo can be submitted. Finally, a native tree can be picked up from the Cape Girardeau Nature Center. The event is limited to receiving one native tree for each picture proving a new Bradford pear has been cut down.