Cold Weather at OCSA: Preparing for the Season

Cold Weather at OCSA: Preparing for the Season.

Gary Ross

Reese Kanyuh, Reporter

While Florida doesn’t have snow or extreme temperatures, we do get some chilly weather when fall comes, later on in the year. With this weather comes the opportunity to dress up. Normally, it’s too hot outside for sweaters, hats, and jackets. But whenever Halloween rolls around, temperatures drop from averages of 90° to averages of 60°. OCSA’s dress code even allows for hats and hoodies when it’s cold enough! So, as we start this season, here are some ways to prepare. 

Starting off, wearing jackets, sweaters, and beanies. Pretty obvious, but even if the weather outside is only moderately cold, I think we all have a teacher who cranks the A/C every day. So, if that sounds familiar, consider having a jacket in your bag or tying one around your waist. Better safe than sorry. OCSA’s dress code also allows hats and beanies in cold weather, so there’s no need to worry there! 

Another great solution is an insulated water bottle or a thermos. Cold drinks and cold weather don’t make for a great time, so a water bottle that can keep drinks hot is a great fix! Drinks like hot coffee, teas, hot chocolate, and lattes all cool down by lunchtime unless you’ve got one of these. Most thermoses and insulated water bottles retail for around $15-$25. 

To stay extra warm, keep some instant hot-packs in your bag! These packs heat up when you shake them, and whenever temperatures drop and your hands are cold, these are a godsent! There are packs of 10 on amazon for $8 under the brand name “Hot Hands.” Having one in your bag for those especially cold days walking to school is a necessary precaution to take in the winter months.  

The next tip is mainly for those days where the weather is seriously frigid, and while it doesn’t happen often, it’s better to be safe than sorry.  Double layering clothing can make-or-break your day, so consider wearing legging under your pants, or another shirt under your polo. Besides keeping you warm, double layering has also come into style. With sweaters over collared shirts, leggings/ yoga pants under shorts, and long-sleeved shirts under short-sleeved shirts, the colder season bring the opportunity to dress up without overheating.

OCSA Student Nicholas Galavis says, “I wear a lot of hoodies all year, but specifically now when it starts getting cold.” The chilly weather is a great time of year for many students in Florida. Winter might not be everyone’s favorite month, but with the colder months comes chilly weather which gives us all a break from Florida’s baking heat. On that note, thank you for reading.