Page 15 is Waiting for You, Writers!

page15.org

Page 15 is open for all writers!

Isabella Perez, Reporter

Ready to get another publication under your belt? Page 15 has just the thing for you! Every year, they host a high-school-level creative writing contest where only 15 submissions will be accepted for publication. This year is their 11th time in action, and they’re opening with a theme of silence, or alternatively, “The things we don’t say.”

For the contest, the deadline is January 31st, and the only requirements are a home address in Central Florida and a single piece of writing that includes an interpretation of the theme. So, whatever words you’ve left unsaid, maybe it’s time to start writing them down. If you happen to be among the lucky 15 who get selected for publication, your work will be held in what the website describes as, “a one-of-a-kind illustrated anthology of student writing.” You’ll also get your name out there, which is the beginning of a successful career in writing.

There’s other things Page 15 can offer aside their contest, like their summer camps and after-school programs. These programs are more targeted to the younger community, specifically children who love to write. They also have partnerships with youth centers like Boys and Girls Club and Parramore Kidz Zone to help out the local neighborhoods and groups. On their website, they described the importance of kids in spaces made for artists, saying, “Children who can harness the power and potential of their own voice can grow to become strong voices in their communities, leading to a healthier and more equitable future for everyone.” The programs provided by their foundation can be really nourishing for young, creative minds looking to share their excellence.

All of this is possible thanks to the Urban Think Foundation, who have paved the way for our local artists. It was founded in 2008 by Julia Young, Bruce Harris, and Craig Ustler. If you don’t know who they are, think of them as the Avengers for Central Florida’s creative and literal arts community. Over the last decade, they’ve created something wonderful: a chance. A chance for young writers and artists in our small groups across Orlando and Kissimmee to share their passions with the rest of the world. With this chance, success is possible, so don’t be afraid to take it!

If you’re interested in submitting, you can visit their website, page15.org/contest for more information. Best of luck to those who submit!