Kaleidoscope Cafe- The Creative Writing Event

The official poster for OCSA’s open-mic night, Kaleidoscope Cafe.

Evelyn Tippett, Reporter

Kaleidoscope Cafe is an open mic night creative writing event, where any major is open to perform. A lot of people think that Kaleidoscope Cafe is solely for Creative Writers, since it’s a creative writing event, but that’s not true. Any major is open to perform, and they accept a wide variety of submission types. You can sing, dance, play an instrument, anything that shows off your talents.

Even if you don’t have something already prepared, you can go up when everyone’s performances are finished and volunteer. If you have back-pocket-poem you want to share, a song you’ve known since the ripe age of six, or you just want to bust a move to Cruisin for a Bruisin’ from Teen Beach Movie, any kind of performance is welcome.

This event was created by Creative Writing teacher, Mr. Capley and is co-hosted by Creative Writing students, Alyssa Danish and Jessica Vanderbeck.

Jillian Jenks, a co-host from K-Cafe in early 2022, mentioned her favorite part of Kaleidoscope Cafe “was seeing everyone after the main performers went up, go up and volunteer their art. And sing, and perform back-pocket poems, it was really inspiring and lovely to see all of these people in the audience go up, and be so excited and willing to share their art. Because that’s what K-Cafe is. It’s celebrating and sharing art.”

Originally the event was supposed to be held on February 1st, but due to Mr. Capley being out sick, the event was cancelled. However, the event has now been officially rescheduled to April 12th.

So, if you are interested in performing, sign-ups are in Mr. Capley’s room, portable 3. The event is being hosted in the Expo Hall at 6p.m. Everyone is welcome to attend. Tickets are five dollars on MySchoolBucks, and we hope to see you there!