The Black History Month Show is Almost Here!

Lisa Smith and Gaby Castillo

The Black History Month Show is almost here!

Ashley M. Baez, Reporter

The month of February is known as Black History Month, the month where black history is honored and remembered by everyone. At OSCA, the Black Student Union (BSU) is working on a Black History Month show titled ‘Free at Last.’

“Black Student Union (BSU) is a group of people that help educate and bring light to different cultures. You don’t have to be black to be in it. It helps you learn not just about your culture, but it helps you learn about other cultures too.” Billy Grandville, president of the BSU, leader in the Black History Show choir, and one of the directors in the show said in an interview. “The main thing is educating on black history. We might not be able to bring it to the classroom, but we can bring it to the stage in an entertaining way. The BSU presents a play about an enslaved family that begins to mean their own meaning of freedom as they move close to true freedom. It’s mostly surrounded by arts, expression, and activism.”

Almost every major and department are working on this show. “Around 35 people are working in the play. All departments are having a role in the play. We all work together, and all have a say. It’s absolutely amazing! We’ve been able to pull people from different majors and classes to contribute to the play,” Grandville stated.

The show is February 28th at 6:30 p.m. Tickets are on MySchoolBucks.com at 5 dollars. Don’t miss it and give support for BSU and their wonderful show!