Fetch Fits: A Mildly Opinionated Review of the 2023 Met Gala

Jessica Vanderbeck

Some of the most popular looks from the 2023 Met Gala.

Jessica Vanderbeck, Reporter

A few months ago, Fetch Fits covered the announcement of the theme of the Met Gala, one of the most important nights of the year for both fashion lovers and people that like judging celebrities. The 2023 Met Gala looks have finally arrived, inspired by the life and legacy of the controversial yet influential designer Karl Lagerfeld. There were plenty of notable looks and moments at the event this year, and Fetch Fits is here to give you the CliffsNotes on everything Met.

The guest list this year featured some of the internet’s favorite people making their Met Gala debut, like actor Pedro Pascal, rapper Ice Spice, and Jennie Kim of Blackpink. Reoccurring favorites like Lil Nas X, Jared Leto, and Rihanna were also present- although the latter was fashionably late. And of course, who could forget the insect of the hour: the Met Gala roach who was unfortunately stepped on at the end of the night! Whether man, woman, or insect, countless guests made a splash on the red, white, and blue carpet- which had some onlookers questioning if the theme had suddenly been changed last minute to “Colgate Lagerfeld.”

In true Lagerfeld fashion, common themes among the looks were his signature styles: black and white, safety pins, the classic Chanel Bride, and, of course, cats. To honor Lagerfeld’s beloved white cat Choupette, several guests tried their hand at feline-inspired looks, from the sleek and shiny Oscar De La Renta gown donned by Doja Cat (how appropriate) to the campy mascot suit designed by Viktor & Rolf and worn by Jared Leto. Black-and-white suit-style looks were also a popular choice, as seen on Jenna Ortega, Kendall Jenner, Kristen Stewart, and a fair chunk of the male attendees. Speaking of suits and male attendees, the running gag that men only ever show up in tuxedos would have been surprisingly on-theme this time. However, many men decided to try their hand at more experimental looks, like Bad Bunny, ASAP Rocky, and the previously mentioned Pedro Pascal.

Overall, it was a great night with plenty of great looks. “When I saw Sydney Sweeney, I was in awe. She was absolutely stunning, and I can’t wait to see more looks from her in the future- oh, and Pedro’s exposed knees will always be iconic,” said Evelyn Tippett, a freshman creative writer and fellow fashion enthusiast. And there you have it, what could possibly be a better way to close out the final issue of the year than with a huge, glamorous event like the Met Gala?

Stay cool over the summer, and look forward to more articles in the fall from Fetch Fits!