The SAT Scandal of 2018

Jay Baez, Reporter

SAT, a standardized test created to asses your academic abilities is typically a way for colleges to measure your aptitude, but the validity of that test has been questioned after a breach in security. College Board, the company that develops and administers the SAT, did not approve the release of “live” test questions the day before testing was supposed to take place.

Two versions of the test were released on May 1st, one to a Washington Post Writer, Valerie Strauss, and another to The National Center for Fair and Open Testing. The two leaked tests were rumored to be the test students in the United States took, and possibly some in Asia that was used on Saturday, May 2nd. Some sources in Asia claimed that test-prep companies were selling the leaked answers that were used on the May 2nd exam before the exam was administered. College Board takes the security of the SAT seriously, and proctors are highly encouraged to report any suspicious activity during the exam time.

College Board announced the cancellation of the SAT in China and Macau on Thursday, August 30th, due to cheating allegations. They sent out messages to several partnering schools explaining the cancellation due to evidence of cheating. Though this isn’t the first time there has been evidence of cheating, College Board is working hard on figuring out the source of the leak, and trying to resolve the possible invalidation with the United States and some Asian test takers scores.