ABA Calls for an FBI Investigation into Allegations in Letter to Senate Judiciary Committee

SAUL LOEB

Judge Brett Kavanaugh

Quinn Summerville, Reporter

During his testimony to the Senate Judiciary Committee on Thursday, Brett Kavanaugh repeatedly cited his support from the American Bar Association. Crucially, Kavanaugh noted that the ABA had “vetted” him for the position with a great pride, and rated him, “Gold Standard” and said he was “well qualified”. Later Thursday, the ABA President Robert Carlson submitted a letter recommending a FBI Investigation into the accusations against Judge Kavanaugh.

Senator Lindsay Graham first cited the ABA’s glowing endorsement of Judge Kavanaugh, stating “Here is my understanding, if you lived a good life people would recognize it – like the American Bar Association has the gold standard,” Graham said. “His integrity is absolutely unquestioned. He is the very circumspect in his personal conduct. Harbors no biases or prejudices. He is entirely ethical. Is a really decent person. He is warm, friendly, unassuming – he is the nicest person.”

The next hearing that took place presented the letter from the President of the ABA shown below.

Dear Chairman Grassley and Ranking Member Feinstein:

The American Bar Association urges the United States Senate Judiciary Committee (and, as appropriate, the full Senate) to conduct a confirmation vote on Judge Kavanaugh’s nomination to the Supreme Court of the United States only after an appropriate background check into the allegations made by Professor Ford and others is completed by the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

We make this request because of the ABA’s respect for the rule of law and due process under the law. The basic principles that underscore the Senate’s constitutional duty of advice and consent on federal judicial nominees require nothing less than a careful examination of the accusations and facts by the FBI.

Each appointment to our nation’s Highest Court (as with all others) is simply too important to rush to a vote. Deciding to proceed without conducting an additional investigation would not only have a lasting impact on the Senate’s reputation, but it will also negatively affect the great trust necessary for the American people to have in the Supreme Court. It must remain an institution that will reliably follow the law and not politics.

Respectfully, the Senate should recognize that a thorough FBI investigation will demonstrate its commitment to a Supreme Court that is above reproach.

Thank you for your consideration of this critically important matter.

Sincerely,

Robert M. Carlson

Judge Kavanaugh has had six background checks by the FBI in congruence with past nominations in the courts.