The OCSA Ledger

Trump’s Plan to Exterminate Birthright Citizenship

Back to Article
Back to Article

FILE PHOTO: U.S. President Donald Trump waves while boarding Air Force One prior to departing Washington on a campaign trip to Missouri at Joint Base Andrews, Maryland, U.S., November 1, 2018. REUTERS/Carlos Barria/File Photo - RC125DEA6A90

REUTERS

REUTERS

REUTERS

Jasmeen Rivera, Reporter

Trump has ordered a constitutional plan to end the birthright citizenship. In an interview on Tuesday with Axios, the President stated that he intends to override citizenship of children born of non-citizens through executive order. The controversial topic has been relevant for a substantial period of time now. This is also not the first time Trump has wanted to revoke the right.

“We’re the only country in the world where a person comes in and has a baby, and the baby is essentially a citizen of the United States for 85 years, with all of those benefits. It’s ridiculous. It’s ridiculous. And it has to end.” The President told Axios. However, according to a study made by the Center for Immigration Studies showed that at least 30 other countries automatically grant birthright citizenship, this includes Mexico, Canada, and many others in the Western Hemisphere.

In accomplishing his goals, Trump would also have to work his way around the 14th Amendment, which states that “All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside.” Many conservatives have commented that the amendment is “misleading” and was initially supposed to support citizens and permanent residents, not immigrants who are in the country without supervision or authorization.

The action follows suit with the President’s take on immigration. Following Trump’s administration trying to put down legal immigrants from “using public benefits” through a “new federal rule” of denying green cards to others who use safety net services, including Medicaid, many civil rights groups have spread public outrage saying that the proposal in one of the most “aggressive” terms of action the President has taken on the stance. “Aside from being unconstitutional, such an executive order would exacerbate racial tensions, exploit fears and drive further polarization across the country at a moment that calls for the promotion of unity and inclusion,” stated Kristen Clarke, president and executive director of the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law.

Some Republicans have rejected the proposal. showing some potential political risks and unknowing advancements when it comes to Tuesday’s voting.

According to the New York Times, the President has not yet commented on any legal grounds his lawyers have given him in this present moment for legal action.

Jasmeen Rivera, Reporter

Jasmeen Rivera is a junior at the Osceola County School for the Arts. As a journalist, her one goal is to report the truth and to use her strength as a...