Senioritis: Escapism for the Weary Intellectual

Matty Mendez, Pun Proficient Senior Reporter

We may report on global devastation until the day is through, but we fail to recognize an event-present cultural issue that plagues thousands each year. It is a phenomenon that is specific to a single margin but feared by many: senioritis. Senioritis as it is colloquially known, is a supposed affliction of students in their final year of high school or college, characterized by a decline in motivation or performance.

Missing assignments, failing tests you would otherwise pass, and outright missing school altogether; such is the plight of a high school senior. High-performing students turned casts of their former glory, slow-moving participation trophies. Seniors remain trapped in a death-loop often written off by outsiders due to its emotional nature.

Emotional intelligence, the trait that the ‘baby boomer’ generation has used to notoriously chastise ‘millennials’ and ‘Generation Z’ continuously and consistently.

In a 2010 survey of 557 students from New York and New Jersey, the majority (45.9%) high school seniors agreed that “[their] academic effort will most likely decline in the second semester of [their] senior year.”

The easiest and perhaps the most obvious widespread cure: get help, get motivated. “School counselors are intimately aware of the causes, symptoms, and potential negative consequences of senioritis,” said Lisa Suzuki, associate professor of applied psychology at NYU Steinhardt. Proportionally as important as finding the right help where it exists, Suzuki stated that “it is critical that students continue to stay engaged in school to learn critical life skills needed for success in college and create exciting and fun memories of the end of the high school years.”

Stay strong, Class of 2019. Graduation is only 106 days away.