The OCSA Ledger

OCSA Auditions 2019

The Osceola County School for the Arts, where nearly 800 students will audition over the course of two weeks.

Caroline Centeno, Reporter

The Osceola County School for the Arts’ 2019 audition season is currently underway. Auditions for the school began Saturday, February 2, 2019.

The auditions, which are by appointment only, occur over the course of two Saturdays for primary conservatory choice. Last weekend’s middle school auditions were for Orchestra, Band, and Creative Writing. The high school auditions were for Visual Arts, Creative Writing, Drama, and Band. This Saturday, February 9, 2019, middle school auditions will be for Dance and Vocal, while high school auditions will be for Vocal, Dance, Orchestra, and Technical Theatre.

Only if a student is not selected for his or her primary conservatory choice will they complete a second audition. Auditions for students’ secondary conservatory choice will occur over the course of two days. The secondary auditions will be on February 15- 16, 2019.

Every year anywhere between 600 and 800 prospective students apply to the school, and between 200 and 250 are accepted. Although the number of applications has remained relatively consistent over the past several years, Dr. Jeanette Long, one of the school’s assistant principals, stated that the audition process “has become more competitive because now students are training earlier.” According to Dr. Long, the most popular majors are Creative Writing, middle school Band, and Vocal “because so many [students] try to come in.”

Dr. Long encourages prospective students “to not let fear intimidate them and to always come to the audition and try, because you never know when being brave will change your life.” She also would like to remind students to “practice their craft so they have a better chance of making it in.”