OCSA’s Capstone Program at Year Two’s End Remains Strong as Ever

AP+Research+6th+period+class%2C+working+on+research+papers.+

AP Research 6th period class, working on research papers.

Matty Mendez, Reporter

It has been a year of continued success for the Osceola County School for the Arts AP Capstone program. A mere two years ago it was announced that beginning in the 2017-2018 school year, OCSA would be offering the College Board’s AP Capstone diploma program.

The program’s implications, the opportunity for student’s to develop their research, analysis, and argumentation skills with the added bonus of certification that stands out in the college admissions process, allured may over-achieving students.

“This year the students, especially those that have been in the program for the full two years, have demonstrated tremendous growth through their projects,” Mrs. Swann said. Mrs. Swann is, at present, the sole teacher of both the AP Research and AP Seminar classes and the driving force behind the program’s implementation at OCSA, has maintained enthusiasm for the program’s direction and nothing but optimism for its future.

Swann hopes that the graduating seniors in her AP Research that functioned as last year’s “trial run,” will “continue to use the research skills that they got [within the program] when they continue on in their educational endeavors.”

She also hopes that in the next few years she will soften out the kinks in a system that remains in its infancy, but assures that it is “getting a little better and a little easier every year” with assistance from a close-knit “family of Capstone teachers within Osceola County that have really shown [her] the ropes.”

In retrospect of two outstanding years, Mrs. Swann has no intention of relinquishing the program and looks forward to seeing more “awe-inspiring” work from her students. “I love and believe in these classes and these students,” Swann said, assured.