InkTober 2019

Inktober 2019, taken from Inktober.com

AnnaBella McGinnis, Reporter

Starting on October 1st, the visual arts department will be starting their yearly InkTober challenge. Every day of the month, artists must create art surrounding a given theme with ink as the main material.  

The school has participated in InkTober for many years. The point of the challenge is to improve on an artist’s ability to incorporate ink into their art. But outside of that, artists have noticed other improvements outside of strictly using ink. A tenth-grade visual artist, who wished to be anonymous, happily said “It helped me improve in my art style altogether and taught me how to stick to a theme much easier.”

Through Inktober, artists have an opportunity to improve on their style, adapt to a quicker routine, and learn new techniques with applying ink. When asked if students outside the visual arts major can participate, visual arts students responded with enthusiastically.  

“We encourage everyone to do the challenge. Even if you’re not in our major, it’s still really fun to do!” A student claimed in an interview. “Doing InkTober gives you an opportunity to improve on your art, even if you don’t have the time to create a piece every day of the month.” 

However, some may be discouraged from partaking in InkTober because they may not have the money to purchase extra art supplies. As it turns out, however, that’s not so much the case. 10th grade visual artist Alyssa Santana, explained that “The whole point is to do exercises to practice with ink materials for 31 days. You can pretty much use just a standard pen and your all set.” For those who enjoy creating illustrations, this challenge may be perfect for you, as many see this as an opportunity for growth and a chance to have a fun time altogether.