Parkland Victims Speakout

Veronica+Carbonell%2C+17%2C+a+senior+at+Cypress+Bay+High+School+in+Weston%2C+Fla.%2C+at+gun+control+rally+with+other+students.+

9News

Veronica Carbonell, 17, a senior at Cypress Bay High School in Weston, Fla., at gun control rally with other students.

Mackenzie Riley, Reporter

After the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting on February 14th, students from Marjory Stoneman Douglas met that Saturday at the local town hall to address their opinions on what should be done next. They criticized President Trump and other GOP lawmakers’ handling of the matter, demanding action and accountability from politicians. Student Emma Gonzalez from the school delivered a tear-filled speech on Saturday stating, “if all our government and President can do is send thoughts and prayer, then it’s time for victims to be the change that we need to see.” The students have collaborated with many organizations to orchestrate a national walkout on April 20th to peacefully protest the lack of gun reform.

Many students have received backlash for advocating gun-control and some far-right politicians are saying that the outspoken students are paid actors. Pro-second amendment advocates argue that the issue “…isn’t about a gun it’s about another lunatic,” as stated by Tomi Lahren, a Republican social media influencer and commentator. In addition, some believe that violent TV and video games are what inspire individuals to violence.

The surviving students have organized a  pro-gun control rally March 24th, in Washington, D.C.