Students Brawl It Out at Super Smash Bros Tournament

Hector Torres, Reporter

Beginning February 19th, students began to flock toward the courtyard to sign up for the Super Smash Bros tournament sponsored by the school’s Anime and Cosplay Club. For $3, students reserved their spots in the competition. Other paid only a $2 entrance fee to hang out with friends and spectate the tournament.  

The game Super Smash Bros was released in the fall of 2014 and has gained a massive competitive following in days since. Popular among today’s youth, the cartoonish fighting game revolves around a cast of Nintendo characters from several different games. The player uses the different character’s unique abilities to inflict, block, and parry damage against up to 8 other players. As a character continuously receives damage, they are more likely to get blasted off the stage and lose a life. Depending on the game mode, the last player standing or the player with the most lives at the end of a timer, wins the game. It is so tactical in the way that it’s played, many would consider it one of the most competitive video games on the market.  

Sign-ups will continue in the courtyard until the day of the event on February 23rd. The winner of the tournament Friday night will be awarded either a trophy or a goody bag, victor’s choice. Either winner or loser, every person attending is guaranteed a truly smashing experience.