Homecoming Week: Dress Down Days

Raquel Perry, Reporter

Students at OCSA prepared for the big homecoming day on October 6th, by participating in their spectacular spirit week. Students were encouraged to dress up from a variety of themes. On Monday, students dressed up in their most comfortable PJ’s for PJ Day. On Tuesday, students wore a tacky wardrobe and stood out in their vibrant and floral outfits for Tacky Tuesday. On Wednesday, students had a dispute on whether Sharks or Jets were better by wearing the colors on West Side Story Wednesday. On Thursday, students went back in time to various decades, such as the Disco-Chic or Flower Power era by dressing up for Throwback Thursday. Lastly, students had a great time changing their character by dressing up as notable characters from movies, books or television on Character Day. Each day was $2 to participate.

After interviewing junior tech major, Nadia M. who had a great time participating in all of the dress down days this week, she said that she participated in the spirit week this week because she wanted to help out her school and yearbook. “Throwback Thursday was my favorite because everyone could display their personality in the specific decade that they choose and it would show what they would look like in that time period. ” I asked her what she would change from their spirit week or what she didn’t like and she responded, “I didn’t like the fact that it was $2 but I didn’t mind because it was for a good cause. I also didn’t like the fact that students who didn’t dress up would judge the ones that do.”

Mrs. Carswell, an English teacher, and leader of the yearbook committee created the themes for the dress down days. She says that the money made from this week will be used to upgrade the yearbook and add special designs which will be a great surprise for stud

ents. She says that she greatly appreciates those who have participated in order to allow this to happen.

It seemed like more students participated this year than last year. Perhaps it is because of the hype that came with it before the week started. It was an exciting time for students to celebrate their school pride with various festivities.