Model UN Conference Update

Members of the OCSA Model UN club.

Ms. Vicens

Members of the OCSA Model UN club.

This weekend’s Model UN Conference was a success for the students of the Osceola County School for the Arts. Students not only enjoyed their busy weekend, but they also learned valuable life skills.

The conference began with an opening ceremony allowing them to get a chance to learn from guest speakers, one from the Orlando Mexican Consulate and the other from the Political Science Department of the University of Florida. Afterwards, students were able to split up into their committee groups, which encouraged them to socialize with students from other schools.

On the second day, the committees for each country began to solidify alliances with countries proposing similar solutions to their given world issue. After agreeing on a resolution, students worked together to write a resolution paper that explained their solution. Once all papers were presented, a vote was made on which solutions are the best.

The third and final day, was more laid back. The students took part in an event called FunMUN. This event allowed students to debate topics at random for their enjoyment. From “Krispy Kreme is a tax exempt religion” to “Communism,” the students were able to debate to their heart’s content. After Fun MUN, students arrived to the closing ceremony where awards were given for Best Delegate and Best Position Paper.

The students of OCSA learned a lot. Caroline Centeno stated that she “learned how to work with other countries and set aside my own opinion to do what worked well for our world as a whole.” Mackenzie Riley, the President of Model UN club, learned “how to communicate more thoroughly with others and how to follow through with promises made between alliances.”